While there are several ways a fire can start, there’s one thing you need to do if a fire occurs—acting quickly. A fire can go from a spark to engulfing flames in no time, so every second counts. Educating yourself now on different types of fires and how to put them out means protecting your family in the future if something does occur.
As a note, while the following scenarios give tips for extinguishing a fire yourself, if the problem is serious or spreads quickly, call your fire department immediately or dial 911.
Learn About Fires
Classes of Fire
Wood Burning Fire
Wood burning fires typically stem from a fireplace or fire pit and are categorized as Class A fires or a fire that uses flammable materials as its fuel source. Wood, paper, trash, fabric and plastics are also common sources of Class A fires.
If a fire originating from your indoor fireplace gets out of hand, here are some dos and don’ts on how to put out a wood burning fire:
For an outdoor fire pit:
Fires caused by natural gas, kerosene, propane or gasoline are categorized as Class B fires. These types of fires are caused by flammable liquids and are best extinguished by smothering.
Speaking of appliances, if they’re connected to electrical outlets, it’s possible for them to catch fire. There are specific steps you can take to handle a fire resulting from a home wiring failure, worn out breaker box, appliance malfunction or frayed electrical cord.
Here’s how you can put out an electrical fire:
There are also the home appliances that aren’t connected to an electrical outlet but can still cause fire, like your oven, stove and microwave. These appliances are often located in the kitchen, where high temperatures place them at an increased risk of catching fire.
There are some specific steps you should follow if you want to know how to put out an appliance fire:
To put out an oven fire:
To put out a stove fire:
If a fire occurs in your microwave:
Cooking fires are the top cause of home fires and injuries. Of these fires, majority begin with oil becoming too hot, boiling and eventually turning from smoke into flames. These are called grease fire, or Class K fires.
Here’s how to put out a grease fire:
What should you do if you can't extinguish a fire?
If a fire becomes uncontrollable, leave your house immediately. Close the door as you leave to try to contain the flames. Once you’re safe, call 911 and do not go back inside your home until you’re told by a professional—like a firefighter— that the area is safe for reentry.
Contact the Most Trusted Fire Damage Restoration Company in Fort Myers, Florida
Fires spread quickly and failing to act rapidly could lead to greater damage to your home, such as significant damage to your home’s structure. However, fire damage is not the only concern, since smoke damage and soot can also spread in your home which will lead to ongoing issues with odors and corrosion to different surfaces and items.
Fire damage can destroy not just your home’s structure but also your cherished possessions. Dealing with the loss is too great to handle alone. ServiceMaster by Wright‘s home fire damage restoration experts offer water damage restoration, mold removal, content cleaning and restoration and fire damage repairs. We’ll work with you to recover what can be recovered while ensuring that you have the support you need during the process.