A hurricane is a type of tropical cyclone or severe tropical storm that forms in the southern Atlantic Ocean, Caribbean Sea, Gulf of Mexico, and in the eastern Pacific Ocean. A typical cyclone is accompanied by thunderstorms, and in the Northern Hemisphere, a counterclockwise circulation of winds near the earth’s surface. All Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico coastal areas are subject to hurricanes. Parts of the Southwest United States and the Pacific Coast also experience heavy rains and floods each year from hurricanes spawned off Mexico. The Atlantic hurricane season lasts from June to November, with the peak season from mid-August to late October. The Eastern Pacific hurricane season begins May 15 and ends November 30. Hurricanes can cause catastrophic damage to coastlines and several hundred miles inland. Hurricane can produce winds exceeding 155 miles per hour as well as tornadoes and mircrobursts. Additionally, hurricanes can create storm surges along the coast and cause extensive damage from heavy rainfall. Floods and flying debris from the excessive winds are often the deadly and destructive results of these weather events. Slow moving hurricanes traveling into mountainous regions tend to produce especially heavy rain. Excessive rain can trigger landslides or mud slides. Flash flooding can occur due to intense rainfall.
To prepare for a hurricane, you should take the following measures:
- To begin preparing, you should build an emergency kit and make a family communications plan.
- Know your surroundings.
- Learn the elevation level of your property and whether the land is flood-prone. This will help you
know how your property will be affected when storm surge or tidal flooding are forecasted.
- Identify levees and dams in your area and determine whether they pose a hazard to you.
- Learn community hurricane evacuation routes and how to find higher ground. Determine where you would go and how you would get there if you needed to evacuate.
- Make plans to secure your property:
- Cover all of your home’ s windows. Permanent storm shutters offer the best protection for windows. A second option is to board up windows with 5/8” marine plywood, cut to fit and ready to install. Tape does not prevent windows from breaking. Install straps or additional clips to securely fasten your roof to the frame structure. This will reduce roof damage.
- Be sure trees and shrubs around your home are well trimmed so they are more wind resistant.
- Clear loose and clogged rain gutters and downspouts.
- Reinforce your garage doors; if wind enters a garage it can cause dangerous and expensive structural damage.
- Plan to bring in all outdoor furniture, decorations, garbage cans and anything else that is not tied down.
- Determine how and where to secure your boat.
- Install a generator for emergencies.
- If in a high-rise building, be prepared to take shelter on or below the 10th floor.
- Consider building a safe room.
It’s no news that the summer season is not yet over in Southwest Florida. Florida has been known as the summer capital of the United States. However, it is also known as a place where hurricanes visit due to its geographical location. Those who are heading back to the north will leave their home…
Hurricane preparedness essentials involve your escape plan, first aid kit and survival kit. Hurricanes can cause havoc and danger to your family, property and pets. Being prepared for an incoming storm or hurricane is important to survive the calamity. Listen to your local news station for updates when there is an incoming hurricane. Prepare in…
Interior and exterior painting can help maintain and increase the value of your home. ServiceMaster by Wright has been servicing business and homeowners in Southwest Florida with quality services. Restoration and repair services are never complete without interior and exterior painting. To complete your restoration and repair services, interior and exterior painting is necessary. Finding…
During winter, many people across the country travel to Florida to avoid the cold and usually return home when summer comes; they are commonly known as Snowbirds. Florida’s subtropical climate is a perfect escape from the harsh cold, but it’s hot summers bring too much heat and high levels of humidity. If you are a…
Most of us don’t know about soot and smoke damage and its effect to our home and health. Fire damage restoration big or small should be done by professionals like ServiceMaster by Wright. Soot is a black powdery or flaky substance made largely of amorphous carbon, produced by the incomplete burning of organic matter. Fire…
We all know that repainting is the cheapest way of renovating your home or business establishment. Interior and exterior painting services offered by ServiceMaster by Wright will help you complete your restoration and repair process. ServiceMaster by Wright wants to help you with your restoration and repairs and to be able to serve you better…
Water damage can happen to anyone, it can happen in your home, business establishments or office. Water damage can cause mold, havoc, contamination, seepage, structural and electrical damage. Water damage restoration is the process of restoring your property back to pre-loss condition. There are many causes of water damage that you might or will experience.…
The Holiday Season is the time to catch up and bond with your family and friends. Some would have parties, get together and sleepover. Everyone’s busy preparing and doing their respective tasks but what comes after these are the cleaning we have to do. Couches gets dirty, carpet gets stained and more. This can be…
Dear Jerry and Kim,
Diane and I would like to offer our thanks in the assistance you, Jorge, and Katrina extended to us as we work thru water damage claim at our home.
The work done by the entire team was professional, thorough, and fully met or exceeded our expectations. We would highly recommend ServiceMaster by Wright should anyone face the daunting task we did in getting our home back into better-than-it-was-shape.
Thanks again and please pass this letter along as appropriate.
Diane and Richard Welch
Just wanted to let you know that our service person, Ernie Torres did a wonderful job. He was professional, polite, knowledgeable and very neat. It was a pleasure working with him. You should be pleased to have him as a representative for your company.
Thank you so much for coming out so quickly to help with my water heater mess. Very professional service and friendly staff. You guys are the best.