ServiceMaster Restoration’s received a called to a home in Fort Myers, FL for fire damage. A short occurred in the golf cart battery charger causing a fire in the garage.
“When we were driving it we heard something like gunshots, like boom, boom, boom. That is why we went inside the house. We were not really expecting this to happen.” he said.
The entire home on the first floor was destroyed. The homeowner called 911 and the fire was able to be contained to the first floor of their home. The evening sky lit up with bright orange flames as firefighters worked to put out the fire that quickly took over a Fort Myer’s home. Officials said a golf cart parked in the garage sparked the fire.
”It was batteries that were exploding. It burnt my eyes. I couldn’t see anything and my throat was numb.” he said.
One day after the fire the family was working hard to salvage any memory from their family home. While investigators tried to figure out exactly what happened, the family will rebuild their home, the only home they have known.
ServiceMaster’s tore out all of the affected drywall, removed all of the contents that were affected by the fire. After this was complete the whole garage and lower floor of the home was then cleaned with a hepa vacuum and wiped down with an antimicrobial solution. The garage passed the air quality test the first time and ServiceMaster started the reconstruction of the garage. The reconstruction included hanging drywall, painting, etc., to get the garage back to where it was before the fire damage.
Important Tips to Keep in Mind Concerning Fire Damage Restoration
- Probably the biggest tip after you receive fire damage to your home is that you need to stay as calm as possible. It’s psychologically draining to know that you have lost valuable and sentimental objects from your home. Not to mention that you realize that you or your family could have also lost your lives.
- Don’t take on the task of trying to clean up after a fire. Even a small fire leaves layers of black soot on everything.
- Although water damage might not look as bad, it can be dangerous, because of the mold and bacteria that can build up if they are not quickly and properly dried.
- A fire restoration company will not be able to salvage heavily charred or burnt areas of your house although they can definitely save the parts of your house that have been affected by smoke damage and by scorching. Items and areas that have been extensively burnt or charred won’t be salvageable. However, smoke and water damaged areas can be returned to normal.
- Generally, a good fire damage restoration company has good relationships with insurance companies. Their estimates are usually covered by insurance, which is another good reason to use their expertise.